Over the last few months, I’ve been presented with some interesting facts about “the average gamer”:
- Facebook has become the platform of choice for the average gamer.
- The iPhone has taken over as the most popular platform for the average gamer.
- The console continues to be the primary gaming platform for the average gamer.
- Due to the massive popularity of free-to-play, the average gamer won’t pay for anything anymore.
- The average gamer has a subscription to Live.
- The average gamer loves microtransactions and cannot wait to buy absolutely anything offered for sale.
- The average gamer doesn’t have any online friends, is unfamiliar with chat, and would never imagine asking a question in a general chat channel while playing a MMO.
- The average gamer is a member of a younger generation characterized by familiarity with technology and a desire to be constantly in touch with friends via things like texting, Twitter, and Facebook.
- The average gamer is in his mid-30s and gets older every year.
- The average gamer is (or soon will be) female.
- The average gamer only wants a “bite-size”, casual experience.
- Competitive PvP is very important to the average gamer.
It would appear the average gamer is a great many things.